Our Feeds
Breaking News

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Ionut Rusu

Casino Company’s Visit to Sunshine Coast Promoted by Queensland Government

Casino News Daily
Casino Company’s Visit to Sunshine Coast Promoted by Queensland Government

The Queensland government confirmed that it had promoted the recent visit to the site of the Maroochydore Central Business District by executives of Malaysian casino operator NagaCorp, local news outlet the Sunshine Coast Daily reported earlier today.

The Maroochydore CBD, currently under development in the central part of Sunshine Coast (in the small town of Maroochydore), is planned to be a multi-million, mixed-use complex that will spread over 53 hectares of land. When finished, it will feature accommodation buildings of different types, food and beverage facilities, retail space, a number of office buildings, and a new city hall building.

Queensland’s Tourism Industry Development Minister Kate Jones has confirmed that the November 2017 visit to the CBD’s site had been promoted by the state’s Special Projects Unit, which had been part of the Department of State Development prior to the latest Queensland election. She has also told local media that members of the unit have met and will be meeting with international investors to promote and encourage tourism development in the state.

The Queensland MP has further explained that NagaCorp’s visit was too part of their initiative to attract foreign investors to potentially invest into the state’s tourism industry. The Malaysian hotel and casino operator was provided with information about Queensland’s tourism sector as well as about the state’s Global Tourism Hubs scheme and the requirements an investor must meet in order to participate in said scheme.

Generally speaking, the Global Tourism Hubs were defined by state politicians as mixed-use properties with hotel, food and beverage, entertainment, and casino facilities. One such hub is set to be developed in Cairns. Under initial estimates, the project will cost A$1 billion and will include a casino. According to recent information released by the government, 12 investors, both local and international, have registered interest in participating the project. It has also been revealed that major casino companies have been among those 12.

Growing Pressure against Maroochydore Casino

While the addition of a casino to the Maroochydore CBD development has never been confirmed, local media had previously reported that the idea had been pitched by Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson.

Over the past several months, the city official has faced pressure both from state and federal politicians to nix any plans for a gambling venue as part of the CBD construction project.

Mr. Jamieson has told local media that there was nothing wrong with NagaCorp visiting Sunshine Coast and being interested in what development opportunities the region presented. The Mayor further pointed out that the casino company’s visit had been promoted by the state government and not by Sunshine Coast, and that any potential addition of a casino as part of the Maroochydore development project could only be decided upon by the Queensland Government and not by the city council.

The post Casino Company’s Visit to Sunshine Coast Promoted by Queensland Government appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Ionut Rusu

CJEU Rejects Belgium’s Request for Annulment of EC Online Gambling Recommendation

Casino News Daily
CJEU Rejects Belgium’s Request for Annulment of EC Online Gambling Recommendation

The EU Court of Justice (CJEU) rejected earlier this week a petition filed by the Belgian Government against a set of recommendations for the protection of consumers of online gambling services and the prevention of minors from gambling online.

The recommendations were introduced by th European Commission in 2014 but the government of Belgium contested them in court, arguing that these were breaching each individual Member State’s right to regulate their online gambling market in a manner they found fit and to adopt player protection measures of their own choice. Belgian lawmakers further claimed that the European Commission had overstepped its authority by issuing the guidelines.

Earlier this week, the EU Court of Justice rejected the above claims and found that the European Commission had not exceeded its competence and that the set of recommendations had not interfered with Member States’ right to implement their own online gambling regulations.

The CJEU ruling affirmed a previously issued court decision by the General Court. The latter court dismissed Belgium’s case in the fall of 2015. The Belgian government will not be able to appeal the latest ruling further.

Why Has Belgium Contested the Guidelines?

The European Commission introduced the Commission Recommendation on principles for the protection of consumers and players of online gambling services and for the prevention of minors from gambling online in the summer of 2014. It was not legally binding and only aimed to present Member States with a set of guidelines for the effective protection of online gambling customers and the prevention of minors from being targeted and allowed to gamble online.

In October 2014, the Belgian Government filed against the recommendation, seeking its annulment by the EU’s highest court. As mentioned above, Belgian lawmakers claimed that the Commission had gone beyond its authority by introducing the guidelines and encouraging Member States to adopt them.

The Belgian government further pointed out that under EU treaties, the Commission did not have the authority to introduce “an instrument with harmonizing effect” in the online gambling sector.

It also emerged back then that concerns that the recommendation would lower the standards previously set by the Belgian Gaming Act stood at the heart of the country’s discontent.

The European Gaming & Betting Association, EGBA, welcomed CJEU’s ruling in a Tuesday statement. The Association also called upon the European Commission to encourage Member States to adopt its guidelines, to review for any gaps in their implementation, and to take corrective action if needed so that high level of consumer protection across the European Union is achieved.

Based in Brussels, EGBA is the industry body representing online gambling operators based and licensed within the European Union. Its member list includes bet365, Betsson, Kindred Group, and GVC Holdings, among others.

The post CJEU Rejects Belgium’s Request for Annulment of EC Online Gambling Recommendation appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Ionut Rusu

Tax break helps MGM Resorts offset quarterly profit drop

RSS
Tax break helps MGM Resorts offset quarterly profit drop

A massive one-time income tax break enabled MGM Resorts International to escape a fourth-quarter decline in earnings, the Las Vegas-based casino company reported Tuesday.

Ionut Rusu

Boston Officials Opine on Wynn Boston Harbor Casino Resort Future

Casino News Daily
Boston Officials Opine on Wynn Boston Harbor Casino Resort Future

The last days of January saw a rapid turn of events for one of the most renowned people in the international gambling industry and this was Steve Wynn, who is the former Chief Executive Officer of Wynn Resorts. This shook the industry and now it has the potential to affect the future projects of the company, among which the new $2.4-billion resort casino under construction in Everett, Massachusetts.

Concerned members of the community expressed their position that the project should not continue its development, while officials expressed their position regarding the future job opportunities for the region.

Wynn Boston Harbor is the name of the new gambling resort which has taken over the banks of the Mystic River and turned the formerly occupied by a chemical plant location into a suitable for tourists’ entertainment site. Following the sexual misconduct allegations which emerged with the help of Macau’s gambling regulator, Mr. Wynn opted for filing his resignation from the company’s leading position. However, in the official statement of the company, it was stated that Wynn Resorts is planning to focus on the development of its operations in Las Vegas and Macau, as well as the future one situated in Everett.

The feelings might not be mutual, however, as the voters in the community remain undecided regarding the future of the casino facility. As many as 20 percent of the people who have cast their votes say that they want the project to be permanently stopped, as the region does not need another gaming venue. Another 23 percent of the people who participated in the voting opted for casting their vote on continuing the project under an entirely new management. Something which most of them agree on is that the location should operate under a new name as well, as to avoid associating with its owner whatsoever.

Evaluation of the Future Integrated Resort Project

Shortly after the information was made public, Congressman Michael Capuano claimed that the job positions which the new location is expected to guarantee are what is important in the moment and most beneficial for the community in general. The construction work of Wynn Boston Harbor was projected to give work to up to 4,000 people in its building phase, as well as provide an additional 4,000 jobs for permanent workers.

According to Mr. Capuano, putting an end to the whole development will have a negative impact on the area. In the meantime, Boston City Councilor Ayanna Pressley stated that gaming might not be the most positive economic development strategy, taking into consideration the problem gambling factor of the industry and how it could affect the region, but there is also the other side of the story. People who rely on this job opportunity should not be negatively affected by the alleged actions of the former CEO of the casino operator.

Whether the location remains a casino resort or ends up becoming a larger commercial building, all workers should be able to be confident in their concrete staff positions. She also supports the idea of changing the name of the location.

The post Boston Officials Opine on Wynn Boston Harbor Casino Resort Future appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Monday, February 19, 2018

Ionut Rusu

Genting Casino Brighton Undergoes Half a Million Pound Refurbishment

RSS
Genting Casino Brighton Undergoes Half a Million Pound Refurbishment

Genting Casino Brighton - located on Preston Street, close to Regency Square - has undergone major refurbishment, marking an investment of more than £500,000 for the business.

Ionut Rusu

Clark County Witnesses Travelers Profit Surge Prior to ilani Casino Resort Event Center Launch

Casino News Daily
Clark County Witnesses Travelers Profit Surge Prior to ilani Casino Resort Event Center Launch

The region of Clark County in Washington state is experiencing quite the positive surge of profit in the last years and this is a positive tendency which promises strong profits for the year 2018 as well. The news comes only several weeks prior to the official opening of the new facility of the ilani Casino Resort which is going to be a brand new meeting and entertainment center ready to welcome thousands of guests.

The information regarding the growing interest of tourists from near and far towards the location was brought by the most recent report issued by Visit Vancouver USA. This is the destination marketing organization providing information regarding the latest happenings in the area and the bearer of good news for the region. According to the data provided by the organization, the location is enjoying more tourists which in turn propel ahead the development of the local economy.

Jacob Schmidt is Director of Marketing for the City of Vancouver and as he claimed the recent years have seen a steady growth. The year of 2000 saw some $273.5 million generated by tourists in the area and in comparison to the data issued for 2016, the jump is significant. Thanks to the growing popularity of the area of Clark County, the growth of profits reached $472.5 million. These rates are expected to be even higher after the official launch of ilani Casino Resort which took place back in April 2017.

Gambling and Entertainment Offerings in Clark County

The casino resort which is situated some 26 kilometers north of Portland saw its official opening in the spring of 2017, which was closely followed by the launch of the long-anticipated restaurant offerings located at the Waterfront Vancouver in July. For everyone interested in giving the location a try there are two restaurants as well as a 90-foot pier and a park. It is not a secret to anyone that food-providing facilities are among the most popular boosts for the development of a given area and 2016 saw a 25-percent increase to $123.3 million on food purchases in comparison to 2010.

This April is going to see the latest addition to the ilani Casino Resort which is expected to bring an even bigger cash inflow to the region. As a celebration of twelve months of operation, the resort is planning to welcome the brand new event center which will bring big names in the entertainment industry to Clark County and propel ahead the economy. Kara Fox-LaRose, President and General Manager of ilani claimed that the new center will span across 30,000 square feet, as It will feature a 22,000-square-foot Cowlitz Ballroom.

It will be able to host up to 800 people when it is utilized at its banquet-style layout, whereas there is also the option for welcoming as many as 2,500 people when set up for concerts. There will be a pre-function area dedicated for receptions, as well as a boards room, which could be used for meetings with fewer people. The new addition will provide a well-rounded range of offerings able to serve on various occasions, but according to the management, it will not compete with the existing event centers in the area.

All scheduled congregations and concerts will be held at a time, which would not interfere with the Sunlight Supply Amphitheater and the Clark County Event Center, thus preventing the conflicts of events and controlling the city traffic situation.

The post Clark County Witnesses Travelers Profit Surge Prior to ilani Casino Resort Event Center Launch appeared first on Casino News Daily.

Ionut Rusu

Viktor Blom Wins partypoker Millions Germany Main Event ($1,048,153)

BankrollMob News - Poker / Casino / Betting
Viktor Blom Wins partypoker Millions Germany Main Event ($1,048,153)
After several days of intensive play, the last remaining 13 players from a field of 1,022 entries returned to the King's Casino in Rozvadov on Sunday to play the final day of the partypoker Millions Germany Main Event. Viktor "Isildur1" Blom started the day second in chips and finished as the champion 14 hours later. The 27-year-old Swedish poker pro overcame a 9-to-1 chip disadvantage heads-up against Moldova's Pavel Plesuv and finished in style by making an incredible call in the final hand[...]
Recent Posts